I’ve been enormously busy catching up with the EE courses, so here is a dump of the interesting links that people have sent me or have come across my desk in the last two weeks:
- The Great Smartphone War. Well written Vanity Fair article about how sleazy Samsung is and how Steve Jobs took them to task.
- A Tale of Century Link Backdoors, PCI Compliance, and Pain. Lots of Pain. This is an excellent article about the backdoor installed in the routers by the phone company. My first thought is they should have used the router in bridge mode and relied solely on a firewall appliance. Worth a read.
- Mystery Teacher Theatre 2000 / The Trouble with Kahn Academy. Article about math professors complain about Khan Academy and produce a video in the meme of Mystery Science Theatre 2000, where they make snarky comments while watching a video.
- Getting taken for a ride – the $357 Uber Ride. I snickered when I read about someone victimized by Uber. Draw your own conclusions.
- Facebook employee steals user’s Instagram account, then after much complaining, they eventually get it back.
- Banned for Life. Developer writes dozens of cheesy Android applications that just wrap YouTube videos. Google kills the apps and bans the developer. Developer writes blog article and (probably) cries a lot.
- Infants ‘unable to use toy building blocks’ due to iPad addiction.
- Lynus – open source security auditing tool.
- Free programming books. Pointers to lots of free books on a variety of computer science subjects.
- Also I found a free book on FPGAs entitled, “FPGAs!? Now What?” Pretty good tutorial.
- Portia – open souce visual web scraper.
Computer Science / Programming
- Kernel 101 – Let’s write a Kernel. Gentle introduction to the boot loading process, not exactly a kernel, but interesting nonetheless.
- Bootstrapping a simple compiler from nothing.
- Let’s write some x86-64. Basic introduction to x86-64 assembly language.
- So you want to write to a file fast. Interesting Linux-centric order on speedy file writes.
- Co-routines as an alternative to state machines.
- XCode cheat sheet.
- Coping with TCP TIME-WAIT state on busy Linux servers.
- Detecting duplicate images using Python.
SEO / Marketing
- Facebook CPC – Don’t Waste Your Money. Another article about how advertising on FaceBook is a waste.